Like many parents, Ann and Jack and I watched tonight’s Blue’s Clues event on Nick Jr. In case you missed it, tonight they showed three new episodes in a row. In the first one, Steve’s brother Joe comes to visit Steve. In the second, Joe learns how to play Blue’s Clues and in the third, we learn that Steve is going off to college and Joe is going to live with Blue and all of Steve’s friends and take over playing Blue’s Clues with us. All in all, the episodes were very well done and even brought a tear to our eyes when Steve said goodbye. But I also had some issues with the three shows:
- Joe is much taller than Steve. So much so that Steve looked like a little old man next to him.
- Steve clearly looked like a man ready to move on with his career. So much so that he seemed very flat. And short. But I mentioned that.
- During the college episode, I kept getting images of Steve in a frat house screaming “Kegger!” on the top of his lungs.
- I also had images of Steve trying to pick up girls by trying to put paw prints on parts of their bodies (“So, our clues are… a cat… a banana… and a tube of…” Ok. Maybe not.)
- I really thought the very end was completely unnecessary, the way that Slippery came in after Steve left on his bus and told Joe and everyone else that Steve was shot down over the sea of Japan.
(Extra points if you get that last reference…)